Further Information and SEN Support

How do we support pupils with SEND in their emotional and social development? 

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that require development and nurture. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, attachment issues, anxiousness, mental health and communication difficulties.

All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) curriculum to support this development. Extra support can be put in place for those children who find aspects of this difficult.

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission, the SENDCo will work alongside you to complete the Early Help Assessment, which can lead to extra support, such as Play Therapy of family support.

How do we involve other organisations in meeting the needs of pupils with SEND and supporting their families?

If you or the school believes that your child needs more support than the current provision in place, either you or the school can request the Local Authority carry out a Statutory Assessment of your child’s needs.  This is a legal process, which requires submitting information from school, parents and other professionals involved with your child, to the Local Authority.  They will then decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and will require more support in school to make good progress.  If this is the case, they will write an Educational, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).  The EHCP will outline the support your child will receive from the LA, how this support should be used and what strategies must be put in place.  If the LA decides not to issue an EHCP, you can ask the school to review or continue with the current level of support.  We can also arrange a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to help your child make as much progress as possible.

Please see the Local Offer for more information and details on Education, Health and Care Plans.

How accessible is the school environment?

The school building is all on level and wheelchair accessible through the main entrance and hall.  There is a large disabled toilet.  The classrooms in the older building do not currently have wheelchair accessible fire exits.  Classrooms are small, but teachers adapt the classroom layouts where possible, in order to cater for children with SEND.  The school has a separate Accessibility Plan for further details.

Where children have access needs that are not currently available within the school, we are able to liaise with the Local Authority and other professionals to ensure that facilities and equipment are secured.

How will we secure equipment and facilities to support pupils with SEND?

The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND. The headteacher will decide on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Need and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school. The governors require the headteacher and SENDCo to ensure that optimum use is made of resources. The headteacher and SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:


  • The children getting extra support already from the LA (EHCP)
  • The children needing extra support e.g. those children who meet the threshold but are not yet receiving support from the LA or children who do not meet the threshold for additional LA support.
  • The children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.
  • Behavioural or emotional issues which may require support e.g. through play therapy

Using this information, they decide what resources / training and support is needed. The school identifies the needs of SEND pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resource are deployed as effectively as possible. Information about the support of individual children is shared with their parents.

How would we handle complaints from parents of children with SEND about provision made at the school?
All staff at Babraham Primary School are passionate about their responsibility to support all learners, including those with SEND.  However, if you are not happy with the support your child is receiving, you may wish to make a complaint to the school.  It may be enough to speak to the class teacher, or to arrange a meeting with the SENDCo or Headteacher.  However, if this does not address your concern, or the complaint is of a more serious nature, you may wish (or be asked) to follow the school’s formal complaints procedure.  See Complaints Procedure document, which is available through the ‘Policies’ section of the school’s website.
Who can parents and young people contact if they have concerns?

If you would like to discuss something further, please contact your child’s class teacher, who will be happy to discuss your concerns with you.  

SENDCo: Mrs Sarah Barnes 

Headteacher: Mrs Victoria Penty 
(01223) 832322 or office@babraham.cambs.sch.uk
What support services are available to parents?
The Parent Partnership Service (SENDIASS) provides support and advice to parents whose children have SEND. It helps parents to make informed decisions about their child’s education. Where parents want an independent contact for parental support, the service should provide one.

Parent Partnership Service,

Cambridgeshire County Council, CC1101, Castle Court, Shire Hall, Cambridge. CB3 0AP

Website: http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/pps

Email: pps@cambridgeshire.gov.uk 

Telephone: 01223 699214

Pinpoint – information for Cambridgeshire parents of children and young people with SEND

Website: https://www.pinpoint-cambs.org.uk/

Email: information@pinpoint-cambs.org.uk 

Telephone: 01480 877333
Where can the Local Offer be found?
 Latest information, guidance and contact details about the local offer of support which is available for disabled children and young people and those who have SEND in Cambridgeshire, is available through the links below: